Skip to main content

Pakistan court: Insufficient evidence to remove Sharif

Pakistan's Supreme Court has ruled there was insufficient evidence to oust Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif over corruption allegations, but has ordered a high-level investigation into the charges.

The court issued its verdict on Thursday afternoon after months of hearings in a case based on the leaks that was moved by opposition leaders seeking Sharif's removal from office.

Following the announcement, both Sharif's ruling PML-N and opposition leader Imran Khan's PTI party claimed the verdict as a "victory".

"The Supreme Court has decided … the same thing that Nawaz Sharif himself had decided six months ago, when he ordered the formation of a commission to investigate [the allegations]," Khwaja Asif, a senior PML-N leader, told reporters outside the courthouse following the announcement.

Speaking to the press following the verdict, Khan termed the decision "historic" and called for Sharif to step down pending the completion of the investigation in 60 days from its formation.

"The [order for an investigation] means that whatever explanation [PM Sharif] had given in the Supreme Court regarding the source of income and the money trail has been rejected," said Khan.

"I demand that [Sharif] should resign immediately. And if you are cleared in 60 days, you should return."

Investigating team to be formed

The five-member bench, which was split 3-2 on the judgment, decided that the source of the funds and assets in question had still not been conclusively established by Sharif.

It ordered Sharif and his children Hassan, Hussain and Maryam to submit themselves for investigation to a joint investigation team comprising members of the Federal Investigative Agency, intelligence agencies, the central bank and other bodies.

The body will be constituted within seven days, and submit fortnightly reports to the Supreme Court, the verdict said. It will complete its probe in 60 days, it said.

In a dissenting note in the verdict, which is not binding, two judges on the bench declared that Sharif should stand disqualified for having lied about his sources of income.
Corruption allegations
The allegations focus on Sharif's previous two terms in office in the 1990s, with opposition politician Imran Khan and others alleging the prime minister and his family illegally profited from his position.

Security was tight around the capital Islamabad on Thursday morning, with dozens of police officers deputed to secure the government quarter where the Supreme Court is located.

In 2016, the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) leaked 11.5 million documents from law firm Mossack Fonseca. Included in those documents were letters showing that three of Sharif's children - Maryam, Hassan and Hussain - were listed as beneficiaries for three companies registered in the British Virgin Islands.

The documents showed these companies were involved in a 2007 loan of $13.8m, made using high-value Sharif-owned properties in the United Kingdom as collateral, and a separate 2007 transaction amounting to $11.2m.

Owning off-shore companies is not illegal in Pakistan, but Sharif's political opponents allege this $25m was gained through corruption during his previous two terms in office as prime minister in the 1990s.

Sharif contends the money is in his children's names and he was therefore not obliged to declare the assets on tax and other disclosure documents. Moreover, he claims it was raised through legitimate business deals, mostly based in the Gulf countries.

Late last year, the Supreme Court took up the case, after months of wrangling between the government and opposition over the formation of a commission to probe the allegations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BREAKING NEWS: terror attack in paris

A gunman has killed a police officer and seriously wounded two others before being shot dead in an attack on the Champs Elysees shopping district in the French capital, according to Paris police and the interior ministry. The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group claimed responsibility for the attack on Thursday evening, which took place three days before France's first round of presidential election. Pierre-Henry Brandet, interior ministry spokesman, said the attack happened near the Franklin Roosevelt subway station, at the centre of the avenue popular with tourists. "An automatic weapon was used against police, a weapon of war," Brandet said, adding that the "terrorist threat" in the country remained high. "A vehicle stopped near a [parked] traffic police vehicle. A man got out straight away and opened fire on the police, fatally injuring one police officer," Brandet said. "The man then tried to run away along the pavement ...

North Korea: 'US has now gone seriously mad

North Korea reiterated its vow to launch "full-out war" with nuclear weapons on Saturday as an American naval strike carrier was set to arrive off the tense Korean peninsula in a matter of days. Tensions between the United States and the North have soared in recent weeks as a series of North Korean missile tests have wrought ever-more bellicose warnings from President Donald trump's administration about curtailing its nuclear weapons programme. The US supercarrier Carl Vinson will arrive in the Sea of Japan in days, American Vice President Mike Pence said on Saturday, after days of mixed messages from Washington over the warship's whereabouts.   The strike group was supposedly steaming towards North Korea last week amid concerns the North is ramping up for a sixth nuclear test, with Pyongyang threatening to hit back at any provocation.   But the US Navy - which had earlier said the aircraft carrier would sail north from waters off Singapore as a "prudent ...

Suspected Maoist rebels kill 24 troops in Chhattisgarh

The soldiers were guarding road workers in the Sukma district of Chhattisgarh state when they came under fire. The rebels fired from hilltops at the group of soldiers, police officer Jitendra Shukla said. Local media reported that at least six commandos had been critically injured and were being airlifted to safety. The attack is the latest in a long-running conflict between insurgents and Indian authorities in the forests and rural areas of mainly central and eastern India. Prime Minister Narendra Modi sent his condolences to the families of the soldiers and espressed his anger in a series of tweets following the raid. "We have recovered 23 bodies from the spot and one jawan (soldier) died in Raipur during treatment," Anand Chhabra, a senior police officer in restive Chhattisgarh told AFP news agency, referring to the state capital. Bhagwati Singh, a police spokesman said: "Our teams have been deployed there. We will receive more information about the situat...